Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Collecting materials

So I added to my growing stack of materials that are piling up for our first official day of homeschooling. I'm not sure when I'll start, probably sometime near the beginning of September. I can't believe it is only a month away!

Today I found some great stuff in the dollar section at Target. Alphabet letter stamps, dry-erase writing boards, a fun weather chart, and a cool addition tool. I also picked up a book on dinosaurs because I know we will be covering those in one of the weeks of the curriculum I'm going with.

For my 5 year old son's kindergarten year I have chosen to use My Father's World curriculum. I have one friend that used it for a year and loved it, and another friend that just started it. It is structured to be used every day I believe, but at the CHEA convention I attended they recommended that a kindergartener should have school three days a week for 45 minutes a day. And that 45 minutes should include a few breaks for playtime. They must know my son and his short attention span! This is one of the only bits of information that kept me from running out of the building that day. I can DO 45 minutes a day, 3 days a week. This gave me hope.

I love that this curriculum looks a the world from a Christian perspective and will teach my son at a very young age about God as the creator. I already teach him that on my own, but I think this will be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment